Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lemon and Coconut Loaf

I found this recipe cruising my favourite news website, but changed the milk to coconut milk.

1 x lemon
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups coconut
1 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 160°C.
Finely zest lemon and mix with sugar (or whizz in food processor).
Add next four ingredients and the juice of the lemon and mix until pale.
Add the last four ingredients and mix until just combined on low speed (or pulse if using food processor).
Pour into loaf tin and bake for 30-40 minutes (this is what the recipe said, it might have been because of me changing the milk, or because my oven is a pain, but I had to cook mine for at least a half hour longer). If it's getting too brown on top you can cover it with brown paper.
Is nice cold with butter, but also while it is still warm with lemon curd (and the rest of the family had cream too).

I thought the flavour was nice, but it was denser than I imagined it would be and I wasn't impressed with how long it took to bake, and the centre of the loaf ended up being not what it should have.
Let's just chalk this one up to experience.
How about you try it, and tell us how it went?

No comments:

Post a Comment